2011 MINI Cooper Clubman Review

Most of my girlfriends are not really into cars like I am. They are great at reminding me that women and men buy cars for different reasons. This week, one of my friends asked me what car I was driving, and I replied “the MINI Cooper Clubman”. She had a strange look on her face, so I said “a MINI – just an extended one”; she still had a blank stare in her eyes. “The Italian Job?” I said: this, of course, she is familiar with.

Then, for the next few minutes, she raved about what a cute car it was and how much fun it looked like to drive. Admittedly, she said, she doesn’t know anything about its handling or horsepower but commented that any car that could dart through subway tunnels, careen down stairs and manoeuvre through traffic like it does in the movie would be worth owning.

photo : 2011 MINI Cooper Clubman, Lacey Elliott/Auto123.com

And, of course, she commented again on how very cute this car is. She is not alone; the styling is one of the main reasons the MINI has been so popular since it became a must-have fashion accessory back in the ‘60s.

Fans of the movie who don’t know much else about this iconic car will easily recognize the front styling. Perfectly round headlights, identifiable chrome-plated front grille, available colour-contrasting roof and the MINI winged logo will not doubt have people taking a second look.

Based on just its ‘cuteness’ factor, my girlfriend wants to buy one. The small size is one of her main arguments for not owning one. Well, the Clubman version of the MINI is supposed to fulfill all the traits of the original AND have a bit more room. Enough room to accommodate four adult passengers—comfortably.

This is still a very small car; it is only 10 inches longer than the base model and just over 150 litres more spacious in the cargo area. I have the ultimate test: I booked this car several months ago and had no idea at the time that my boyfriend would be moving in with me; I was expected to help transport some of his things.

I don’t plan on trying any of the stunts from the movie. Don’t get me wrong, I will throw it around a few corners and open it up a bit on the highway. But my real test will be to see how much of a difference 10 inches really makes.

Most of us already know that this little car with 121 horsepower drives like a go-kart. The 6-speed manual matched to the 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine proves that you don’t need a tonne of power to have fun behind the wheel. Very happy at highway speeds, planted in corners and responsive steering feel; this car has all the qualities of its shorter sibling.

Less than a foot makes a big difference when you look at this MINI from the side. Honestly, I think it looses some of its cuteness.

photo : 2011 MINI Cooper Clubman, Lacey Elliott/Auto123.com

On the passenger side of the Cooper Clubman is what MINI calls the Clubdoor. It is basically a suicide door that opens against the direction of traffic and allow for easier access into the back row. One complaint is that the Clubdoor is ONLY on the passenger side—anyone sitting in the back seat behind the driver will still have a struggle to get back there. And honestly, the car is so low to the ground, anyone sitting in the back will have to crawl inside to get comfortable.

In the back seat, the extra length does make a bit of a difference. The roof is still low, but at least people close to 6 feet will not have their knees around their heads. Kids will be more than happy to spend several hours back there. A child seat—two, even—will fit perfectly.

The seat behind the steering wheel is very comfortable. It offers lots of support and the wheel is nicely-shaped in my hands. I have never been a fan of the interior, though. The designers really put focus on styling and being unique, and have succeeded; nothing else really compares, except maybe the new Fiat.

There is a huge round speedometer in the centre dash, but it is really kind of useless as there is a small digital readout right in front of the driver. I don’t think I glanced at the round one at all. Unfortunately, the design might appear very attractive to some buyers, but several buttons and knobs are not placed in a very user-friendly location. The sunroof and power window buttons, to name a few. The fit and finish is top-notch and soft touch materials are everywhere.

For the real test: the back row of seats fold flat very easily and the taillight clusters don’t take up any space. I loaded boxes with ease because of the low load height, and with the passenger-seat folded forward, I easily slid in a queen-size futon mattress.

photo : 2011 MINI Cooper Clubman, Lacey Elliott/Auto123.com

The Cooper Clubman Classic starts at $23,250, while my tester, simply called the Cooper Clubman, costs just under $25,000. If you want some more power, you can look at the turbocharged S with 181 hp or the John Cooper Works Clubman with 208 hp and a starting price of $38,400.

The MINI has the cute fun factor all wrapped up and is appealing to both men and women. The Clubman Classic model has the same engine and is about $3,000 less than the better-equipped and more-customizable Clubman. You get the same interesting interior design and incredibly enjoyable ride in both cars—so which one should you pick?

After spending a week with this cute car and the extra space, both my girlfriend and I agree that ten inches doesn’t really make a huge difference. It’s still a MINI, no matter what the size.

Auto123